From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 07:02:30 -0800
On 5 Oct 99, at 0:10, Mendoza del Pino Cesar Daniel wrote:

> My *brand new, just installed* home network is as follows:
>
> |----------|-------UTP5--------10 Card--*My Computer*
> |\\8 Port\\|
> |10/100 Hub|-------UTP5-------100 Card--Computer1--10 Card--Computer2
> |\\\\\\\\\\|
> |----------|-------UTP5-------100 Card--Computer3
>
> (all computers running Windows 98)
>
> Currently we are having some problems with the net browsing.
> Although all computers are on the same workgroup, it takes many minutes for
> me to see a computer (if I am lucky, because sometimes I don't see anything
> but my own computer).
> The hub lights report all 3 computers are present and have different speeds
> (2 with 100 and 1 with 10).
>
> Is the speed the problem (I mean the mix of speeds)?

  This will depend on details of how the hub works.  However, in
general, you will not see 100 Mbps throughputs on any traffic that
involves "my computer" -- including any "broadcast" traffic.

> Do I have to buy a 100 Card for my computer?

  No.

> Will I see Computer2? (look the graphic)

  You'll have to clarify.  There should be a card in each computer,
not one between the two.
  It *looks* like this connection forms a second network, rather htan
extending the first.  Computer1 can serve as a gateway between them
if you enable (or install!) routing (NT includes this capability).

David G