From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 19:31:43 -0400
Rolando:
I'm not familiar with the designation LX300, but I doubt that it will
run on a serial port, so the COM1/COM2 connection won't work.
If this is a new printer, then it may require an ECP/EPP port, and it's
likely that your 486DX100 doesn't have that capability. There are ISA
cards that can overcome that problem. You'll have to deactivate the
on-board LPT port (or ports) in the BIOS setup. I think that you will
also have to use an IE1284 cable. They look like the older cables, but
they provide feedback from the printer to the computer. They also cost
more.
If this is an older printer, and it worked on this PC in the past, then
it is possible that the LPT port has gone bad. Again, there are ISA
cards available. I ran into this a few months ago on my son's computer,
and the new card worked like a champ. (After I remembered to go through
the BIOS setup drill.) The card cost something like $10 and can be set
up for use with both the older LPT and the newer ECP/EPP protocols.
HTH
Carroll Grigsby

"Rolando H. Chiong, Jr." wrote:

> My old 486DX100 cannot read my LX300 printer. I have already changed the printer cable and reinstall windows 95 but to no avail.  The same printer can run on my other Pentium computer though.  I suspect the defect is on the printer port itself built on the motherboard.  Is it possible that I can use other port, such as com. 1 or 2, or can you suggest any other method, so that I can use my printer on said 486DX100? Or can the said printer port be repaired?

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html