From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:23:13 -0500
From: "Dan Duffy" :Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 7:40 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Internet problems

> I sure hope I can get someone to help me with this problem
> as it has started to drive me crazy!
>
> This is the setup:
>
> Computer A = 500 K62 128 MB Ram Win98 SE
> Computer B = P166 mmx 64 MB Ram Win98 SE
> Road Runner Cable Modem
> 4 port Netgear DS 104 10/100 hub
>
> Computer A is plugged into the hub
> Computer B is plugged into the hub
> Road Runner Cable modem is plugged into the hub
>
> When I run "winipcfg" I get a separate IP address
> for each computer. Road Runner in my area allows you
> 2 computers connected for the same price.
>
> Both computers show up in Network Neighborhood and I
> can transfer files between the two with no trouble.
> I have Netbeui and TCP/IP protocols installed and
> configured the same on both computers.
>
> Now, here is the problem...sorry it took so long to get to it.
>
> Computer A can pull up web pages with no problem.
> Computer B can NOT pull up any web pages.  I keep getting the
> page error that says "Can not display this page". I've tried
> other addresses and still the same thing.
>
> I can go the the DOS prompt and ping and I get 4 replies every time.
> So, it seems to be working in DOS?
>
> I brought Computer B to my house and hooked up to a similar network
> with DSL and used winipcfg to release all and renew all which gave
> me another IP address and it still gave me that same page. I have also
> tried a known working networking card and that didn't work either.
>
> I've also re-installed Win98 SE without luck....I'm getting ready to
> format the drive and start over but I'm worried that if that doesn't
> work, that would be my last resort.
>
> Thanks for you help,
> Dan Duffy

Dan,

I think you need to have an Internet Connection sharing program running for
both computers to access your Roadrunner service as they both share the same
connection.  Win98SE comes with ICS and there are several commercial
packages, Sygate and Wingate.  Check out the NOSPIN site, there is a very
good article on ICS, it can be found here:
http://nospin.com/pc/network/Internet_Connection_Sharing.html

Mary Wolden

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html