From:
Paul Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:01:39 -0400
Thanks to all for your help so far in getting my two computers connected
together.  I'm almost there.

The XP machine (Compaq) is 192.168.0.1.  It is connected via a patch cable
to the wall jack.  Cat5e cable to another wall jack in my son's room
(straight, no cross-over).  Cross-over cable from the jack in my son's room
to his 98SE machine (Asus T2-R).  The IP for him is 192.168.0.151.

I used the network setup wizard in XP, and saved the corresponding setup
file to a USB memory stick to run on my son's machine.  All appeared to go
well, but it doesn't quite work.

I can ping 192.168.0.151 from the Compaq, but can't ping 192.168.0.1 from
the Asus.  On the Compaq, I can see the workgroup [Mshome] under My Network
Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network.  I did see the 98 machine
icon at one time, but could not see or read the shared documents folder.
On the 98 machine, I could only see the workgroup once or twice in several
tries.

I have "removed" the NIC and re-installed.  Installed the latest drivers
for the integrated NIC (3Com 3C920B).  I read somewhere that NetBEUI had to
be installed for 98SE to work with XP home--tried that with no success.
Tried setting up an account on the XP home system with the same username
and password (read that somewhere, too)--no luch there either.

So, any more ideas?  Anyone else have these issues?  I'm not quite ready to
spend $100 on XP...

Thanks in advance,

Paul Jones