From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:04:22 -0800
  The technical term is a "captive portal", a server which intercepts your
browser's request for your home page, and instead returns the login page.
The ones I use are made by "BlueSocket", and run about $20K -- no, this
isn't included in your average router.

  There are two places where security may be applied to a network:
controlling what users/devices can connect to the network, and determining
where connected users can get to beyond the local network.  Router features
like WEP/WPA encryption and MAC filtering and non-broadcast SSID are all
aimed at the first, while a captive portal is aimed at the second.  [Since
we, like the hotel, offer access to a transient population of strangers,
restricting connection access would just create additional workload telling
people how to configure their machines to connect.]

David Gillett

On 21 Mar 2006 at 14:11, David Farrington wrote:

> When I visit a motel or I am at the airport and I try to use their
> wireless network I get a page in my default browser that requires me to
> have a password or some form of id that lets me use their network. Does
> this id process come with the router or is it something added? Is the
> process a secure way to control wireless access? As you can tell, I
> don't know anything about it and I don't know what it is called?
>
> If you can point me in the right direction I will be very happy to go
> and read about it.
>
> Thank you.
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: