From:
Glenn Bennington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 07:31:06 -0400
Hi Peter,
Problem is your router/modem has a MAC ID that has to be assigned and "activated" to your ISP account, so they are not just "hot swappable". You might want to talk to your Phone Co.(dsl provider) and see their policy on having your own equipment before you buy. Sometimes they want you to use theirs. Having said that, Linksys, Netgear both have combo  DSL Modem/ routers, or you can buy each separately. If doing this, I suggest using the same brand.

Subject: DSL modem and router

My 2-wire modem/router locked up yesterday. I power-cycled it and that fixed
the problem. However, it got me to thinking of what I would do if it failed
and I was disconnected from the Internet! It is hard to imagine no
connection these days.

I am asking for suggestions on what might be a good router and modem to get.
This might be a backup or a replacement where I would keep the 2-wire as a
backup. Please share your experiences. Thank you.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com