From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 16:25:51 -0500
From: Max Timchenko <Sent: Friday, May 14, 1999 10:13 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] CPU temperature meter

> Hello list,
>
>   Recently overclocked my new Celeron 400 to 450 [66->75 MHz], works
> fine; didn't tried faster yet. But I would like to constantly monitor
> the CPU temperature to avoid any possible damages. My board
> [ABIT BX6 2.0] has an ambient temp. meter and it's standing at
> 40-42 C while working, but the CPU meter is absent.
>   (Also 2 fans - in power supply and at front, but the board shows
> only one, and CPU fan stats aren't displayed in WinBond, but are
> displayed in BIOS - why?)
>
>   2 questions:
>
>   a. How do I install / where do I buy / what could I use to meter
> the CPU temp? [I have a PPGA Celeron chip on PPGA->Slot1 adapter]
>
>   b. Is 40-42 C normal? Would running w/o case help much? I don't
> like the idea because my area is really dusty, and seldom I drop
> some objects over the case -- without cover they'd just go inside...
>
> Thanks a lot,

I just installed the Abit BH6 Rev 2.0 and it came with a CPU temperature
sensor and had a place for it to plug in to on the motherboard.  It even
came with a small piece of tape to attach the sensor with.  I installed
winbond and the fans and ambient temp, and Cpu temp all show up in both
winbond and the bios.  I would try uninstalling and reinstalling winbond.
Make sure you have the fans plugged into the right connections  on the
motherboard.  I bought a retail version not OEM.  If your version is retail
it should have come with the sensor for the CPU.  It came in a little
package with the tape.

Mary Wolden

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]