From:
"Joab S. Herman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 01:20:44 -0500
Here is one good reason:
Create a small boot partition (about double or triple the size
of the operating system you are using) and a large partition
with the remaining disk space. Install the OS on that small
partition and everything else (programs, data, etc.) on the
second (large) partition. Configure your virtual memory settings
to keep your page file on the large partition.

Now you can use an image backup program, such as Drive Image, to
make frequent backups of your small boot partition to a
removable drive, or even the large hard drive partition, if big
enough. This way, in the event of a problem that screws up your
Windows configuration, you can very quickly restore it from boot
floppies. Of course you should also do frequent file backups
(using software such as Retrospect, Backup Exec, etc.) of both
partitions, so that you can also restore individual files when
necessary. This is a very safe backup strategy.

Joab

> > > I have read about people partitioning hard drives, and I'm
> trying to
> > > understand the benefits, as well as the down side.  On the
> upside,
> > separate
> > > partitions could be made for each person who uses the
> computer, thus
> > > isolating that person's files (although it would be just
> as easy to create
> > > directories for each person.)  And, likewise, those
> isolated files could
> > be
> > > more easily deleted, copied, etc..  And, I guess you could
> defrag each
> > drive
> > > individually.  But, does it do anything to improve day to
> day operations?
> > > And, what are the downsides?  Any tutorials out there
> about the pros and
> > cons?
> > >
> > > William Closure

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,