From:
Donald Rex Gaither <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:17:38 -0500
Hi,
        You didn't mention two things.  Number 1:  was the Samasung the second
drive in the other computer when you installed disk danager?  Maybe
something didn't get installed onto this computer (it is possible that part
of the disk manager was placed on the primary (boot) drive.  This shouldn't
cause the CMOS not to see it (though read the instructions for the disk
manager, there might be a specific setting you need in the CMOS).  That
leads us to number 2:  can the other computer still see the hard drive.  I
have had problems with the Samsung 4.3 before, and it is possible that it
has gone bad.

HTH,
Donald Gaither

On Monday, April 05, 1999 4:31 PM, Duncan Walker [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension Pentium 133 w/128Mb of Ram, and the most recent
> (A0.6) BIOS.  I'm having problems installing a 2nd HD (Samsung 4.3Gb
> (Mod VG-34323A); the existing HD is a (Fujitsu MPA3026AT 2.6 GB HD).
> 1.  Initially the problem was recognizing the full size of the Fujitzu,
> which I solved on another of my computers using Ontrack's Disk Manager
> (DM).  This is not an issue unless someone knows of a 3rd party BIOS
> BIOS which can directly recongize the true size.
> 2.  When I 1st began the 2nd HD install, it recognized the Fujitsu (but
> not its full size)--I didn't have DM, so just left the HD in the comp
> hooked up to power.  After I got DM, reconnected the IDE cable (as
> primary slave), & found that the 2nd HD wasn't recognized (during system
> start-up or in the CMOS set-up screen).  I have tried the following:
> a)    changing the cable order--no difference.
> b)    reversing the HDs (the Samsung as master and the Fujitsu as slave)
> only the master--now the Samsung is recognized.
> c)    using cable select settings on both HDs--only the first
> connectedHD is recognized.
> d)   clearing the CMOS--no change
> e)   replacing the motherboard (warranty item)--no change.
> Anyone w/any ideas?
> TIA
>
>             PCBUILD maintains many useful files for download
>               on our web site - visit our download page at:
>                      http://nospin.com/pc/files.html

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]