From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 07:46:06 -0500
I replaced the mb on my wife's computer, but the
computer will not boot beyond the first page,
i.e. the very first screen that you see when your
computer boots.  Also, there are some bad
characters on that screen.

Does this mean the mb is ok, but the cpu is bad?

I have a known good cpu that I would like to
try in place of the current one, but the cooling
fan is very difficult to attach.  I would like to
run the cpu long enough to see if it goes thru
the regular boot process.  If so, then I know
the mb is okay and the old cpu is bad, and I
will buy a new cpu and permanently use a fan.

I would prefer to do this without the cooling
fan, i.e. run the computer for a couple of
minutes with no cooling fan.

Am I in danger of frying the cpu in that short
of time?

It is an Athlon 1200 thunderbird.

TIA,

Dean Kukral   [log in to unmask]