From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 07:31:20 -0700
You can get an ATI Radeon 9000 for $68 or a GeForce4 MMX 64MB for $63 (found
both at www.pricewatch.com ).  You don't mention the primary focus for your
video card.  For video editing and 2D work I would side with the Radeon.
For gaming and 3D work I would lean towards the GeForce4 card (though the
Radeon still has some pretty impressive 3D capabilities).  There are some
die-hard Matrox video card owners out there, but in all honesty I've never
been terribly impressed with them.  Please don't misunderstand; they are
good cards.  I just find the GeForce and ATI cards to provide better
features and quality, imho.

I have talked to several people who have purchased wireless keyboards and
mice.  To say that they swear by them would be putting it mildly (I haven't
gotten one yet just because the budget hasn't been available for it).  There
is no card that is inserted in the machine.  You connect a receiver to the
mouse and keyboard ports.  The drawback is the fact that you need to use
batteries.  I would get a good set of ni-cads so you can recharge the
batteries.  The power drain on them is fairly low (they have good
powersaving features), but if you use your computer a lot you will still go
through your fair share of them.

Also, I would make sure to get one that uses RF (radio frequency) instead of
infrared.  Infrared is dependant on line-of-site, but with RF you can point
the sending units in any old direction with no loss of signal.  Bose was the
first manufacturer that I know of to come out with an RF controller for
their surround-sound entertainment system (TV surround sound, CD player,
radio, all-in-one setup).  You could go ANYWHERE in the house and control
the system.  Besides the fact that Bose makes speakers that have an
absolutely unbelievable sound (you will never understand until you hear a
demo), the convenience of the RF remote really made their rather expensive
system worth it (around $2,000 for their basic eight speaker setup).  I look
for RF remotes now for all remote controls when it's available.

Hope this helps.

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions
Sales - Upgrades - Training - Consulting
Due to the current economic situation, the light at the end of the tunnel
will be turned off until further notice.