From:
Glenn Josephson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 15:00:54 -0400
Hi Kevin,

> Several issues arise,
> 1/ As they certainly can't afford to buy an original WinMe, and W98 is
> now basically unavailable, I will probably wipe and reformat the HDD
> using my legitimate copy of W98SE.
> The situation then arises that I have one copy on this desktop,
> eventually another on the new system, one on my laptop and another on my
> computer which might be next door !   (or might not be)    Is this
> piracy ? or has MicroShaft shot itself in the foot again ?

Technically, yes, it would be illegal for you to put a copy of WIN98 on more
than one machine. The license agreement that comes on all retail versions of
Windows (and most software for that matter, unless otherwise specified) is
for one machine only. You're not even supposed to put it on more than one
machine that you own. Each copy is supposed to have its own certificate
number. Most people seem to ignore this though. It's up to you.

> 2/  My other worry is hardware related. I don't want to give them a
> lemon. What has worked well for me, may not in another situation. I'm
> aware that Packard Bell has been described at times as Packard Hell.
> Never mind, -  my concern is that if any single part fails, - then the
> whole system is shot.
> 'It's not worth trying to fix'  is my first thought.

Pac Bell computers were, outside of the hard drive and RAMand the monitor,
pretty propriatary, which was one reason they were cheap. NEC closed down
Pac Bell computers sometime about a year ago, so the chances of fixing it if
anything  goes seiously wrong with it, or getting any actual tech support
are slim to none. So yes, I'd say if it died it would be time for it to go.
And really, almost any P133 wouldn't be worth fixing anymore, imho. Another
problem you might run into, if you do wipe the drive and install 98, would
be finding drivers for it. I'm assuming it came with Win95, and you have
driver discs. Those drivers may or may not work right in 98. But anyway, it
sounds like a good cause and worth a try. Whatever  use they can get out of
it is beneficial.

Glenn