From:
Anthony Garvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:33:34 -0500
If you were using TCP/IP only, it could be a subnetting problem, but you are
also using NetBEUI and your workgroup has the same name - so transport
protocol should not be an issue.  Check your subnet and mask just to be
sure. Double check your workgroup name also.  It could be a cable problem
but you say you've tried another cable.  Could both cables have a problem?
Maybe you have a NIC driver problem.  What kind of network cards?  Do you
see a problem in Device Manager?  Can you re-install both drivers with the
correct driver?   Can both computers ping the other?  Can you connect with
the NET USE command? HTH

> Thanx for all the help so far, you guys are great. Please let me fill in
> the information i left out. I am connecting the computers together without
> a hub, just a straight connection. I am using a crossover cable and have
> installed both netbuei and tcp-ip. I have named them both with the same
> workgroup name and have shared files , but, The computers still do not
> recognize each other. Only once (and i don't know why) i was able to see
> the other computer, but when i double clicked on it, it wouldn't open
(some
> error saying it's not there).  I have also tried another cable and that
> didn't help. The network card lights are on when i connect the cable.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com