From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:48:33 -0400
On Sunday 28 April 2002 05:48 pm, Bob Warasila wrote:
> I've decided it's time to build a Athlon system.  I've been to a number a
> sites including the pcpower........... site and read the speel about the
> necessity for quality power supply + case, however I'm not planning to
> build a power computer rather one for "family" use.  Today Best Buy Has a
> 300W Antec case for sale for $60.  The pcpower.............. equivalent at
> 300W is ~$130.  Is the Antec setup that much worse for what I plan to do?
> I don't mind spending the extra $70 if it really buys me stability vs.
> hype.
>
> Bob Warasila
> [log in to unmask]  (home)
> [log in to unmask]   (work)

Bob:
I bought an Antec KX-282 in December, 2000, for my Athlon 800 system, and I
like it very much. Good fit and finish, as they say in the automotive
business. In particular, all of the cut edges were cleaned, so that I no
longer go through half a box of bandaids every time I go inside. One of the
driving factors in my decision was that it came with an AMD-approved power
supply. Internal access is good, but could be better -- in order to gain
access, it is necessary to remove several sheet metal screws. (Some day, I
have to find them and put them back in. ;^) The hidden drive bays are in a
separate box that is easily removed from the case, which makes installing
drives much easier. Cooling has not been a problem -- I added one extra fan
at the bottom front of the case -- but then I don't overclock, and my
graphics card (8 mb Matrox G200) is not a big heat source, either.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml