From:
Marg Belliveau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 22:42:57 -0400
From: "Dennis Dittmar" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2002 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] 98SE wont install on my new/1st homebuilt

> --- thanks Marg, but I even set all 3 choices to A hoping to 'beat' the
IBM <snip>
> My only worry is when I put the 'new' drive in as a slave here
> how will I know I'm fdisking the right hard drive!!!>??
> Dennis Dittmar

If I understand you correctly, you are putting the new drive in another
computer, as a slave, to Fdisk and Format?
Actually, Fdisk will give you 5 options, I believe, if you have more than
one drive installed.  There should be an 5th option to 'Change current fixed
disk drive' on the FDisk Options Screen.
To make sure you have the correct drive, choose option 4 'Display partition
information'..You should be able to tell which drive you are dealing with by
looking at this info..
The easiest and safest way to do this, if you are unsure, is just to unplug
the ribbon cable from your main hard drive and hook up the new one that you
want to fdisk, as the Master. Go ahead and partition, then format.
However, before doing all that, is it not possible to use the CD that came
with the new HardDrive
to wipe it out, (un-Fdisk it),
Or I believe you mentioned there was an option to 'exit' on the IBM Cd, and
that takes you to a dos prompt on a 'virtual floppy' on the HD?  Is it
possible at this point to remove the IBM Cd and replace it with the WIN98
cd, and run 'setup.exe' for Win98 from the dos prompt?
And just for a little background, is this a brand new system you are
building?  New Motherboard, CPU, etc.?  How large a HD? IBM?
I ask because I just installed a 40GB Maxtor HD in a new system, and had
some problems getting full recognition of the size...had to download a file
to get the system to recognize all 40GB, so I could Fdisk and Format
properly!
Marg Belliveau