From:
Dan Dias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 10:36:37 -0700
Yes, lower resolutions on LCD panels can be a mistake in terms of
viewability, since fonts can look "muddy" and smudged or blurred. The
highest resolutions tend to look best when displaying print, but can be
hard on those with poor eyes. You win some, you lose some <smile>!

At 10:18 AM 5/21/2003 -0700, Peter Shkabara wrote:
>I can't help you with the HP support, but I do have a comment on using LCD
>displays in general. Unlike a CRT, the LCD panel has a specific number of
>light generating "dots" on the screen. In your case, there are 1024 rows
>consisting of 1280 dots per row. If you were to change the display
>resolution to something other than this, the electronics would need to
>interpolate (approximate) what needs to be displayed and the results may be
>less than satisfactory. Banding and other artifacts can show up. I would not
>recommend changing the resolution to anything different for the native
>resolution that the LCD monitor is built for.
>
>Also important to note. LCD monitors do not require the refresh that CRTs
>do. Thus, you do not set the refresh rate to anything higher than 60Hz for
>an LCD display. A side note - is anyone else old enough to remember that
>60Hz was once a high refresh rate?
>
>Peter
>The NoSpin Group

Daniel A. Dias
Tech, Computer & Network Support
Innovative Business and Information Services (IBIS)
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL)
P.O. Box 808 L-664
Livermore, CA 94551
( 925-423-5638

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,