From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:48:10 -0800
I have a old UMAX SCSI scanner circa 1996. I think it maxes out at 600 dpi
but I mostly use it at 300.
I do scan an occasional color print, but mostly I use it for color copies
or to make a pdf document.
For what I use it for I would stay with it, especially now that you don't
need to scan film prints any more... expect for two things. It doesn't
support legal size, and there are no 2K XP drivers.

So I am planning on a USB2 scanner, something I can get at Staples or
CompUSA on sale, and I don't want to overbuy for my needs. The UMAX has
been a good scanner but driver support has been very poor.  I am planning
on HP, mostly because they have great driver support and they will always
be around. Plus, while HP scan quality might not be the best it has always
been considered very good. I have all the software I need to support a
scanner, so this isn't a consideration.

Is my HP reasoning choice sound? Do I need an expensive scanner. Why do I
need to scan above 1200 dpi? Anybody have a specific recommendation or some
general information they think I should consider?

Thanks!

Mark Rode

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com