Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:26:17 +1100
From: "Kevin Neal" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 6:45 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] USB Modem problem.

> Although I'm sure I've followed the installation instructions properly,
> ie:
> a/  copy the drivers to HDD,
> b/  plug the USB and 'phone cables,
> c/  restart, ignore PnP, and use "have disk'
> d/  All seemed to go well.
>
> I next noticed that the indicator LEDs on the external were totally
> dead, not a sign of life ;

In general, USB modem is very different. I've been dealing with USB modems
for a while (since they appear on market), currently, all of USB modems
(that I ever know) require a reboot after installation in order to make them
work.  And it is normal sometimes (all on all modems) if there is no
indicator light up if the modem isn't in use.  So the only way to test  USB
modem is to dial up.

> and as an amateur, I thought surely there should be some indication of
> connnection with something.

Most of them do have a green LED to tell you modem is online, but as I said,
I've seen modems that appear to be "dead", but when you dial-up, they will
come to alive.

> Went to Device Manager which showed the modem as 'This device is working
> properly'
> Up the list is 'USB Devices' which showed the dreaded yellow ?.

Sounds like driver problem.

> The USB joystick is OK on both ports, as a test.
> Uninstall, and re-install with Plug n Play didn't help at all, but was
> probably worse.

do the following:
1) remove the modem from device manager, and check add/remove program, to
see if there is an entry there, if so, remove it. And download the latest
driver, copy it somewhere (doesn't matter where you put it, as long as
windows can find it)
2) leave the modem connected, reboot, DO NOT ignore PnP, when win98 asks for
driver, indicate where the drive is, and let win98 search for driver.  After
driver installed, reboot, and then back in device manager.  If everything
seems ok, you can dial up to give it a go.

If nothing works, the most likely problem is either the modem or driver.
either way, get your money back, Swann is brand you should avoid at all
cost.  I had serious problems with their driver support and the hardware
quality I can't trust at all.

for USB modem, one of the most impartant thing is driver support. like PCI
modems, almost all USB modems are soft-modem (only a few hardware USB modems
around).  Even you get a hardware USB modem, the drivers they use are far
complex than good old serial modem (complex software vs simple text file).

Jun Qian

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com