From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:02:26 -0800
Ian,

I am not sure that format time of approximately 1GB per minute is out of
line. However, it would be interesting to see what speeds other users have
seen with different interfaces. For example, SCSI, ATA66, etc. How about it
folks?

I might note that the CPU speed and amount of RAM could affect format times.
Years ago I wrote a formatting program and found that building up the sector
information did use up more CPU time than I had anticipated. Of course
computers are very much faster today than they were then, so perhaps
hardware delays make the CPU delay seem insignificant.

Peter
The NoSpin Group