Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:09:59 EST
In a message dated 10/26/98 6:46:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Hi Carlos,
 I think the battery on the motherboard may be dead.

 Pierre

 Carlos Arroyo Junior wrote:

 > I've changed the date and time in BIOS setup program
 >  but when I turn the computer off and turn
 > the computer on again, the date and time are not what should be
 > (it's not updated, it seems the system clock works only when the system is
on).

Hi,
  If your other CMOS settings are being retained, but the time is not, then
the following may be the case.
  Many motherboards use a real time clock that has its own battery built into
the IC clock chip. A common brand of these is Dallas clock chips, they are
easy to identify by the fact they are much thicker than the other ICs, due to
the included battery, and have the word Dallas printed on the top of them.
  When the battery in one of these ICs dies, it is necessary to replace the
entire IC, as the battery is not removable. They are normally socketed, so
they just pop out of the socket. The last time I replaced one it ran about
$15.

HTH,
Peter Hogan

                                  -----