Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:03:39 EDT

Hi,
  This is a known problem with the latest DNS patch from Microsoft.  Read
more here:
_http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/09/ms_dns_patch_zonealarm_woes/_
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/09/ms_dns_patch_zonealarm_woes/)

HTH,
Peter

In a message dated 7/10/2008 10:54:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

_Update  for Windows XP  (KB951978)_
(javascript:parent.fnExpandDetails(10);)

(javascript:parent.fnExpandDetails(8)) _Windows Malicious   Software Removal
Tool - July 2008 (KB890830)_  (javascript:parent.fnExpandDetails(8);)
_Security Update for  Windows  XP (KB951748)_
(javascript:parent.fnExpandDetails(9);)

I  have a  Dell Dimension 8400 using Win. XP Home.... and I also have been
using Zone Alarm  free firewall, and Avast free Anti-virus.   While ago,
Windows
informed me I  had some updates to download (the  above).  I did that, but
when
I tried to get online, I couldn't  get on.  I looked in my firewall and
things had been changed  about in there, and I don't know what is supposed to
be
checked and  which is not. So I changed it back, it still didn't work, so I
called the phone company and they told me to disengage my firewall .... I
did  and
it worked.  So something in the firewall prevented me  from getting  online.
had every thing checked so it could do that,  but it has to be Win  downloads
and not my firewall.

So, I  did  a system restore to remove the downloads which now works.  Does
any one  know what Microsoft did in those three downloads to make  those
downloads not work.  And why does  my Firewall  get  different settings when
I never
touch it.  Is there a  better firewall  or at least one that is easier to
work
with than  Zone Alarm which is  free.

What I  also want to know if how  can I get past those three updates and make
it work  with my  firewall?     Harriet

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml