From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 10:50:15 -0800
On 1 Mar 2003, at 17:06, Ian wrote:

> An internal modem plugs into a PCI slot, or, on an old mobo, an ISA slot.
>
> An external modem plugs into a com port on the back of the PC, as well as
> into a power source.
>
> There's really no difference between the way they operate, but external
> modems have two advantages - They can be switched off, which is a handy and
> fast way to disconnect from the net, and they can be easily changed, in the
> event of upgrading or replacement.
>
> However, they're usually more expensive, probably because there's more to
> them.
>
> Ian Porter
> Computer Guys Inc.
> Arrowtown
> New Zealand

  There's a third difference which can still be important to some users:

  External modems transmit and receive data over a standard serial port, and
can often function by picking the default "Standard Modem" driver and
perhaps customizing an initialization string.

  Internal modems have evolved to include minimal hardware (bringing the
price even further down), and rely on specific driver code running on the
system CPU to implement some functions.  This is an issue for anyone running
an older/under-powered system, or an OS for which a driver might not be
available.

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml