From:
GeorgeMary Skokan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 06:18:55 -0700
I got similar information from HP for the slimline 7700 that has a small box and a lot of built-ins, like video, etc.   When I got that response, it was like a challenge since I "thought" it was "MY" machine.  I replaced Vista Home Premium with XP pro and found links to most of the drivers on the HP site, so maybe you could do the same with Gateway.  I had a bit of trouble with the NVidia graphics (built in), but used Belarc Advisor to get the hardware number, then went to the NVidia site and got a good driver.  It started out as an experiment because the machine only shipped with l gig of ram and I was faced with buying more to get better performace with Vista.  The results were really good (better than expected) and the average machine on Vista transformed itself into a very good performer on XP without any hardware changes. This was months ago and,  I have decided to leave XP on this machine and will look at coverting the laptop we are getting.   There isn't really that much difference between the Vista and XP on the outside anyway, since I use firewall and antivirus.   To replace my Recover DVD from HP, I made an Acronis image and burned it to DVD so I can recover the basic installation.   Another plus was that the XP image even with SP2 is much smaller than the Vista image.  HTH    George