From:
Bill Nussbaumer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 10:47:04 -0500

>        I ran FDISK under DOS and removed all the Non-Dos partitions and then
>reformatted the drives with FORMAT.

After removing the partitions did you recreate a new partition before
formating the drive?  In order to format you will need to use Fdisk to
create a DOS partition.

>        For some reason, when I reinstall DOS back on the drives, I can't
>get them
>to boot to DOS after the install.  I go back to FDISK to check the
>partitions and they all come up as "Non-Dos" again.

The partition you create needs to be active, I haven't used Fdisk in a
while but if I remember correctly it should be fairly obvious how to do
this from within the Fdisk program.  be sure to set the partition active.

>        I have read somewhere about the difference between a normal format
>and a
>"low level" format.  Does FORMAT under DOS do a "low level" format?

FORMAT under DOS is a high level format.  I don't know what type of drive
you are using but low level formating of IDE/EIDE drives is done when the
drive is manufactured and my understanding is that performing a "true" low
level format on an IDE/EIDE drive will destry it.  I see a lot of
references on this list advising people to low level format their drive.  I
beleive what they are actually refering to is some type of formating
software distributed by specific drive manufacturers.  I'm not sure what
this software is for exactly ... you may want to look it up if no one else
on the list clarifies that.

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]