Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:48:44 +0000
Greetings Barb and list--

Have you checked whether certain "system events" can turn on your
computer in your BIOS/CMOS Setup area?  Press whatever key allows
you into setup when you boot your computer, and check the various
menus for "wake up" events.  Some are 'wake on lan' or 'wake on
incoming call' (for a modem), and there are others.  See that they
are disabled if you do not want any automatic wake-up calls for
your computer.

HTH,

Paul A. Shippert
> This has happened to me twice. In the middle of the night the PC suddenly
> turns on and wakes me up. Scares the heck out of me. I turn it off
> immediately. I have anti-virus and a firewall security package. Testing
> shows no point of entry and no sign of any usage by an outside source. I
> swear its possessed! Any ideas???

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml