From:
Earl Blake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 08:00:46 +0200
Hi Tony

One thing you could try - (assuming you're using Win9x) go to
Control Panel | Modems. select your modem and click on
Properties. On the Connection tab there is a check box "Cancel
the call if not connected within" - make sure that this is set at
a reasonable time (say 60 s). I've seen problems similar to yours
before and it's usually because this setting is too low.

Hope this helps.

Earl

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html