Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 04:38:28 -0600
At 06:58 PM 3/24/2005,Vince Winterling wrote:
>A couple of things to check:
>
>Is your computer browser service turned on?

         I went through Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services on both
machines.  Both report that Computer Browser is "started".

>The following are checked:
>         Client for Microsoft Networks
>         File and Print Sharing for Networks
>         Internet Protocol (TPC/IP)

         On theLaptop under Local Area Connection Properties, those 3 are
checked.   Also have QoS Packet Scheduler installed and checked.   On the
Dell 8300 desktop, all of these 4 are installed and checked.   An
additional protocol is installed--- Microsoft TCP/IP version 6.    Do I
need both TCP/IP protocols on both machines?

>Simple file sharing enabled?

         I'm running WinXP Home version. From what I've researched, that's
all WinXP home will run.     When looking for that option (from research on
google), I don't have that option in the place the research tells me to look.

>Keep firewalls turned off and only turn on when everything is running. In
>Zone Alarm list each pc's ip address as trusted once everything is working.

         The IP addresses are listed correctly now, but I have Zone Alarm
turned off when trying to connect the network.   I've even disabled the
"load at startup" option.

>Using the same password on each machine at login?

         These are computers used only by me.  I have no passwords for
machine login.

Will look forward to the answer as to having to TCP/IP protocols in one
machine.   Any suggestions appreciated.

Sue Na