From:
Joan Rapier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:27:03 -0700
I'm not sure this'll work (creating and booting with DDO boot disk on the
new machine) as only one of the two hard drives is (possibly) using a DDO.
  The purpose of my putting the drive into the newer system as a slave is
convenience - to transfer data files to the new drive.  If I'm only able to
see the older drive, my purpose is defeated and I'm back to resorting to
sneaker net.

It may be worth it for me to temporarily drop a NIC in each machine and,
using a cross-over cable, and txfr the data that way.

Does a DDO show up as a non-DOS partition in a non-native system (one other
than the system the DDO was performed in)?

Once you've used a DDO, is there no going back?

It looks like the only way I'm going to get away w/ having this older drive
in the new system is to get rid of the DDO.  Can I do this w/out
endangering the data on the drive?

Thank you for your feed back

Joan Rapier
bjrapier

If you know what brand Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO) the
386 drive has, you can obtain the software on-line,

[J Rapier]
No, I'm afraid I don't.  I'm just guessing, too, about a DDO having been
used.

create a boot diskette with it containing the DDO, then
boot your new machine with the DDO floppy (if you are
using Win 95/98, make sure the DDO boot diskette has that
system on it (to preserve long filenames, if any).

... Unless the
DDO is loaded, the hidden drive partition table is not
accessible, and hence the drive is unreadable by the usual
OS.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html