From:
Dave Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:25:36 +1300
Can anyone explain to me what, technically speaking, happened here.
I've just installed a 24x cdrom onto a computer with a 233 cyrix chip
and 32mb of ram.
The operating system is an early version of Win95.
The system had a sound card with the old cdrom connected to it.
I opted to replace the old sound card with the on-board sound and plug
the ide cable from the new cdrom directly into the motherboards 2nd IDe
channel, so I physically removed the sound card from its ISA slot. The
motherboard had just been upgraded three months ago. I  think it is a PC
Chips model. This went fine until I booted up the computer and was
unable to locate the cdrom in the device manager.
I did manage to solve the problem by making install new hardware find
a hard disk controller.
Now I have my cdrom, which is great, but I'm not sure what happened
here. Before removing the old sound card from the computer should I have
removed it from device manager?  I didnt bother looking at what was
installed in device manager before beginning the procedure. What I'm
looking for here is some good working procedures so that my computer
maintainance isn't so hit and miss.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>