From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:03:41 -0600
At 11:01 PM 08/23/2000 , Ahror Rahmedov wrote:
>Please, could anyone tell me if FDISK is used to erase the Win98 system hard
>disk too? And please could you give me step by step instructions of doing
>it? (erase everything in hard disk). And also i would need step by step
>instructions of how to reinstall the Win98. Is it any different than Win95?

Fdisk only removes the partition on your hard drive.  The data is
still there, but now your PC cannot read it, though it still exists.
The new partition built by Fdisk now will not find the old data,
but there are many good software programs than can still lift the
data off your PC.   The same with formatting the hard drive,
the data is still there.  The only way to completely remove the data
is to use a software program that overwrites the entire hard drive
several times with 1's and zeros, this is often called a "CIA" or
"FBI" styled hard drive security cleaning software package.

But...  I only mentioned that as you seemed interested in cleaning
off the hard drive.  If all you really want to do is make the hard
drive empty for your own use, then use FDISK to remove the
partition and install a new one.  Then format the drive and
install Windows98.

I have written all the guides you will need for this process and
they are available on our web site.  You will find Guides for
Partitioning, Formatting and Installing Windows98 in our
Guides section:  http://nospin.com/sitemap.html

If you lack boot disks, we have recently added Boot Disk downloads
to the site also:  http://nospin.com/bootdisk
All of these bootdisks contain generic CD Rom drivers, to insure
ease of use.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: