From:
Qian Jun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 10:37:07 -0700
I'm sorry i have to send this post again.

I think i should give more details about the problem. (i hope this
message will go pass to this list)

A friend of my had problem with Win95.  He installed Age of Empories,
the first few days everything was okay, until he did a defragment (use
win95 system tool).  After defragment, he couldn't play AOE any more
(anything else was okay, at least looks like).  It seems like something
to do with directX (he also installed directX 5.0 from AOE CD, but not
upgrade video driver < AOE not recommand to upgrade> ****and his driver
is NEWER than AOE driver****).  He tried remove directX and install
again, but win95 told him "system error" (he just can't do it).

After all (uninstall and install AOE many times), he reinstalled win95
and AOE, thing seems back normal. (he asked technical support, they
didn't find anything wrong, and told him his video driver or video card
may not compatiable with directX 5).

His PC:
S3 DX / 4 mb video card
P233 mmx, TX mobo
32 mb sdram
Win95 B (with directX 4 ?)
2.1 hdd, 24xCD and sound
The only game: AOE
apps: office 97 and some utilitise (from internet)

What the tech person (from both computer shop and software store) said
just didn't make any sence to him (me too).
if his driver or video card is imcompatiable, how could he play at the
first place (3 days and turn on and off PC at least 4 times)? and how to
explain his AOE is fine now?

We thought there maybe data lost or bad sector on HDD, so that he ran
scandisk but no problem found.  The tech person said the defragment is
safe. and if there was data lost, why he couldn't remove directX 5 (the
directX setup files seems there and fine, add/remove program just didn't
work) and every thing else was fine?

We post to this list because we are looking for both possible hardware
and software explaintion and sulotion for this problem (reinstall win95
is not fan).

Thanks a lot for any help!

Jun Qian