From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 11:48:02 -0700
On 19 May 99, at 14:16, Setyo Nugroho wrote:

> Is AGP video card fully compatible with standard VGA card?
> I mean, will PCs equipped with AGP video card work properly with software
> that is originally not designed to work with AGP (e.g: DOS, Windows 3.1,
> etc)?

  It seems to me that this should generally be taken care of at the
chipset/BIOS level.
  The only exception I know of is NT; SP3 is needed to "enable" AGP support
before AGP drivers can be installed.  This is undoubtedly a side effect of
the way NT blocks direct hardware access.

  You will need driver for the card to be used under DOS or Win 3.x as
anything better than vanilla VGA (640x480 w/16 colours).  If this is
important to you, make sure the card comes with the drivers you need.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html