From:
Neal Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:42:40 EDT
If you use CDRWin as I suggested in an earlier post and you use the evaluation copy, you are limited to 1x speed, which is perfect because you want a bit by bit backup, which only 1x can truly get you. Also, Cdrwin allows you to ignore error correction, so that the program NEVER thinks there is an error. So if it is somewhat copy protected, it will still copy and work. The copy protection is designed to make the program think something is wrong with the cd and to make it stop copying.
Here are my settings for cdrwin, which has never made a coaster for me:
First to make the image, you want to "Extract Disc/Tracks/Sectors"
Always use your cd-rw drive to make the image, cause a bit by bit backup cannot be made using a regular cd drive.
You want to look at the table of contents on the disk:
If you see one mode 2 track, or one mode 2 and one audio track, you want to set subcode analysis to Auto. If you see multiple audio tracks, you should set subcode Ananlysis to fixed.
Then choose Disc Image/Cuesheet.
Choose your CD-R as you cd-reader.
 Then specify you your folder you want the image to be copied to.
You always want to "Copy Raw".
Set Error Recovery to "Ignore".
Set "Jitter Correction" to disable.
Set "Read Retry Count" to at least 50. This protects you from creating a coaster if there is a scratch on the cd. With the count atleast to 50, you are guaranteed the program will read through the scratch at some point and not error out.
Data Speed and Audio speed should be set to 1x as a rule. (With evaluation copy, you have no choice, which is good)
Then press start and away you go.
After the image is created, go back to the main menu and choose "Record Disc".
Choose your CD-R. Press "Load Cuesheet". This is where you saved your image in and you want to choose the .cue sheet that was automatically created for you.
Set recording speed to 1x.
Press "Start recording" and away you go.
I know this was long, but Cdrwin is the best for copying data discs in my opinion. It has not made me a coaster yet, which is more than I can say for other programs.
If you get an error using CDRwin just like I have said, then you have other problems, You may definately need more room on your hard drive.
Hope this works,
Neal Collins