From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:34:09 -0400
You're on the right track, but now you need to look at this drive in
Disk Management.
Rt-click My Computer/Manage/Disk Management.
I believe you're going to find the drive, if it shows, is unformatted
or raw, indicating it's been damaged somehow.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Ronald Smith<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed advice. I've tried a different IDE usb cable; both cables allow the laptop to read the type of HD in the enclosure ( WDC WD 40 OBB 00DEA0 USB device), and the Hitachi DK25EA - 40 in the laptop shows as well.
> System Properties shows two HDs, the ones above.
>
>  I don't think the jumpers have been altered since it was last used.
>
> Am I right in assuming this means all connections are OK, and the external HD in the enclosure is at least 'alive' to the extent its HD identity can be read? To Test this idea, I put another HD in the enclosure and hooked it up to the laptop - and My Computer showed it as 'drive E'.
>
> It would appear to me this indicates the Hard Drive WDC WD40 is somehow faulty, despite its vibrating when powered up, and being read as present.
>
> Is there any way of getting at its contents?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>