From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:39:14 -0500
> Just wondering if anyone has a sense of any major advantages to using a
> LinkSys (or other brand) Cable Modem Router  over a Proxy Server when
> sharing an Internet Connection.
>
> I have @Home service connected to a Celeron 366A.  This in turn is
> networked to an ancient old 486 using a simple Peer To Peer network (an
> Ethernet card in each beast connected by a Cat5 cable). The Internet is
> currently shared to the 486 by means of AnalogX Proxy
> (www.analogx.com last
> time I visited the site).  The connection on the Celeron is lightening
> quick while the connection on the 486 resembles my old 56 K modem.  My son
> and wife do some surfing while I work and they are quite frustrated by the
> difference.
>
> I'm considering picking up a LinkSys router both to speed up the connect
> but also because I may possibly be adding another computer to the mix and
> will need to connect all three so a hub or router will be needed.
>
> The only other consideration I should mention is that I use ZoneAlarm
> configured to allow access to the 486.

        I just went in a similar direction with my broadband connection. I went
from my main computer set up as a proxy to a router. I must say I am very
happy with the decision. With the router I don't have to worry about
knocking my brother offline when I decide to reboot.
        Now for the twist: I paid nothing for my router! If you have a spare
computer lying around I recommend you consider going for a Linux based
router. Before you start running there is something called the "Linux Router
Project", it is based on the idea that an older computer (386, 486) is
perfect for routing, and all you need is a floppy drive and two network
cards (cheapos are fine). The distro I use is Coyote Linux
(www.coyotelinux.com). What's so special about this is that you need to know
almost zero about Linux to get it running. If you want to do fancy stuff you
will have to learn a little about ipchains but it's really plug&play. They
offer a windows wizard that asks you a few questions about what kind of
connection you have (cable modem, PPPoE, dialup), what network cards you
have, and any special options for your particular ISP (dns servers, etc.).
It then writes to your floppy and that's it. Stick the floppy in your
'router' machine, it boots off the floppy, and after about a minute there
you have it, a full NAT router. Since your new router IS a firewall you can
mostly drop ZoneAlarm. And since it's practically free (even if you don't
have an old computer lying around for this $20 is probably the most you'd
need to spend to get one).
        Please note I'm not affiliated at all with coyotelinux, I'm just a happy
user of it! Hope this helped, TTYL