From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 22:42:06 -0500
I just built a new PC using a PC Chips M577 Super Socket 7 motherboard and
an AMD K6-2 3D CPU using PC-100 a 64MB 8ns SDRAM. After the system was put
together, it kept freezing up and showing trash on the video once it froze
up. I removed all the compotents and tried a second video card with no lock.
Finally, I replaced everything and started on changing BIOS settings.
Finally, I disabled the secondary cache and the system worked fine. After
this, I switched the jumpers on the memory from the SDRAM frequency from
100MHz to 66MHz and reenabled the External Cache and the system still locked
up. I finally left system jumpers at 100MHz and disabled the External Cache.

Has anyone had any problems such as this and what type of performance hit
does one take leaving the external cache disabled sence the reguar memory is
running a 8ns. What speed does cache memory function at?

Thanks
Dennis Noble

                                  -----