From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:43:46 -0800
On 13 Feb 99, at 1:56, Shawn M. Shea wrote:

> I have a client that is trying to install dial-up networking for NT4
> Workstation. Someone has tried to install it for him but it is now a
> mess and TCP/IP says the registry key exists everytime I try to
> install. Point to Point installed but that is it. I tried editing the
> registry but to no avail. Any ideas??? Shawn M. Shea Microsoft
> Certified Professional [log in to unmask]

  Installing and configuring this is apparently easy to get wrong, and
I don't know of anywhere that explains it clearly.  Under NT, dial-up
networking is part of RAS/RRAS, which will get installed automatically
when you install PPTP (which you may not actually need...).
  Thereafter, Dialup Networking appears on the Accessories menu [you
might have to do the install as Administrator...]; selecting it gives a
chance to set up modem location and start making addressbook entries
for servers you connect to.

  NOTE:  Since PPTP and RAS are optional components from the original
NT CD, if you go back to install them later, you need to reinstall
Service Packs and/or hotfixes to restore system stability.

  The best coverage of this I've found -- and I'm reluctant to call it
"clear" -- is around page 750 of the IDG "Windows NT 4.0 MCSE Study
Guide", by Alan Carter, which includes material from all three NT
exams.  Note that the self-test software on the CD-ROM is a demo of the
Validate! test suite, available separately....

David G

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>