From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:44:19 -0400
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Our goal for the system we are assembling is to put
together a nice general-purpose system.  We will run
a lot of 'generic' software' --- excel, netscape and/or ie,
photoshop or similar, various games, and so on.

We are not hard-core gamers, but would like to get
some high-end stuff working, really as much for the fun
of experimenting and for the specific games, per se.

Since you have nt experience, could you comment on
whether you see any nt (nt4 or w2k) incompatibilities
with the system we're proposing?

As far as gaming is concerned, legacy stuff is not a big deal.
If 70, 80, 90% of modern games would run on our system
with w2k, that would be fine.  If only 10, 20, 30% of games
would run, we'd probably go with dos/windows (w98 or w-me).

Thanks again for your advice on this.

Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> With all this talk of NT/Win2k vs Win95/98, I just had to jump in....
> I never regretted making the change, although I
> have had to live with lack of support from software vendors, and numerous
> incompatibility issues.
> However, there is a whole lot to like about Win2k but... As I
> write this, my copy of Microsoft Encarta 2000 does NOT run under Win2k...
> Before going with Win2k,
> though, make sure that the software you need will run on it. A good
> compromise may be Windows NT 4. Almost as good as Win2k, but more compatible
> and better supported (by other software vendors - Microsoft does not support
> either, Win2k or NT :) ).

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

                     visit our download web page at: