From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 21:44:49 -0500
At 11:11 12/9/99 , Glen L. Bowes wrote:
>Check config.sys for a line that reads lastdrive= (lastdrv=?) If this
>is set too low you won't have enough drive letters. Try changing the
>line to lastdrive=z...
>
>>When I restart windows in Dos mode, there was a message says " Not
>>enough drive letters available "

Along the same lines, check AUTOEXEC.BAT, AUTOEXEC.DOS, and
C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT for the line that loads MSCDEX.EXE.

For example, the line might read
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:ASPICD0 /M:12 /L:D

The switch /L: specifies the drive letter you want assigned
for the CDROM drive. If this switch is not there, DOS will
assign the next drive letter (after disk drive volumes)
to the CDROM. If (for example) you have the above switch
specifying D for the CDROM letter (as above) but D is
used by a hard disk, you would get the error "Not enough
drive letters." So either delete the /L:D entirely or
replace the D with a higher letter. (If you specify E for
the CDROM but have three hard disk partitions, the same
applies. And so on...)

For example, I call my CDROM drives Y and Z in Win98. (This is
set in Device Manager.) When I boot to DOS they would be U and
V since my last hard disk volume is now T. (Yes, I have lots of
drives and partitions.) To avoid confusion when switching
between Win98 and DOS 7.1, I add the switch /L:Y so that the
CDROM drives in DOS are also Y and Z. (I frequently add and
remove disk drives and the CDROM drive letters would change
in DOS and I'd likely forget what they were if I didn't use
this MSCDEX switch.)

Regards,
Bill