From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:09:47 -0400
At 8/14/00 02:25 PM, Bobby Herring <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We bought one of the USB enclosures and a 15gig drive but we have ben unable
>to find any restore software that will work with the USB connection. It seems
>that USB only works under Windows and all the software packages that will
>restore a whole drive run under DOS. Do you know of any solution to this
>problem?

Bobby,

Where did you find your enclosure?  One the web, I hope?  I have been
looking for a source to buy one to use with my external hard drive, which
is now in a parallel port connected external box.  The problem is that my
external box only will operate with bi-directional or EPP and my ThinkPad
600 laptop will only support bi-Directional and ECP port settings.
bi-directional is so-o-o-o s-l-o-w that it is almost useless.  My previous
ThinkPad 760 had EPP support so I used it all the time with a program
called Ghost for backups.

In regard to your question.  Does the Windows 98 boot disk enable the USB
port?  I know that the BIOS on my desktop machine has a setting to enable
USB for DOS, but have never tried to enable it (not knowing what drivers
are required), but the Windows 98 boot disk may enable it if enabled in
BIOS.  Did the enclosure come with software drivers that can be used in DOS
like the parallel port enclosure I have does?  The company website for my
parallel enclosure also had more information on using it in DOS (but now
the company is defunct, alas!), so yours may also have more information.  I
plan on using mine for backup also but to just restore data and any special
ini files that I may need so may not need the full drive restore option.

Thanks for any information that you have about the source for the enclosure.

Doug

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html