From:
Lonnie Lentsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 21:28:15 -0600
Jerry J. Fear wrote:

> I'm new to the list so forgive me if this has been covered, but I really
> need help.  I'm building a new machine (PII-300, Asus P2L97mb, 7.1 Maxtor
> hd. etc.)
>
> Got basic hardware installed, and booted from floppy.  Used fdisk to create
> primary partition, and format to install FAT32 file system.
>
> Successfully installed WIN95/OSR2.
>
> Installed Partition Magic v.3.04 to re-partition to four 2 gig partitions.
>
> When ran, it says I have a 6679.1 FAT32X partition.

-- sniped --

> My problem is that I have no idea what FAT32X is, how I got it, how do I
> get rid of it, can't seem to find anything in FAQ's about it.
>
>                                 Jerry Fear

Jerry,

    If you did not know Win95/OSR2 allows you to have a partition beyond
the
2 Gig limit of DOS (Up to 8 Gig as 1 partition).  Also OSR2 formats in
FAT 32
(it default) unless you specify otherwise.

    If you want to have 4, 2 gig partitions with FAT 16, (which is the
DOS
standard) you will have to reformat all your partitions (I recommend
getting
a bootable DOS 6.22 floppy and format all your partitions, this will
have
all your paritions formatted in FAT 16.) and reload Win95 OSR2, which
will
work just fine.

Lonnie Lentsch