From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 02:57:28 -0800
On 14 Oct 99, at 17:50, Rick Sauer wrote:

> Rick Poepping wrote:
> >
> > Can't you just use a Cat5 Crossover cable and connect the 2 direct?
>
> Yes you can go from one computer to another with a Xover cable.
> These two computers can  see each other, but I'am not sure the
> computer on the end of the Xover will be able to see the other
> computers on the hub.
>
> I have never seen this done. I have used an uplink port to do this
> and have run thin ethernet to a  single computer in another
> building. I just don't know for sure. I will set up a test and
> advise the list.

  Hmmm.  Checking back in this thread, I see that on 10 Oct 99, at
23:28, Travis Neal wrote:

> I now have 2 computers running win95 and I am attempting to
> network them together.  They both have nics which are working
> properly. They are in the same workgroup and they are both sharing
> enabled, however, they will not see each other.  Is it because I
> do not have a hub?  I have an rj45 going from one nic to the other,
> is that the problem?  If not, please help me with other some
> functions needed to network the pc's.

  Nowhere there do I see anything to indicate that Travis has one of
his machines connected to a hub or any other network.  Using a
crossover cable between the two NICs is sufficient to solve the
current problem as Travis has described it.

  IF Travis, or anyone else, wants to take a pair of PCs connected
this way and have them share a single internet connection, then the
PC that "owns" the connection is going to have two network interfaces
(to different networks); to pass traffic on behalf of the second PC,
it will need to run some kind of routing (included in NT but not in
9x) or NAT (included in 98 SE, but not in earlier 9x or NT versions).
There are also third-party NAT products available.
  The same would apply if the first PC, instead of an internet
connection, were trying to provide any other sort of network
connection, including to a local hub or switch.
  I think this is what Rick Sauer has been describing, even though
Travis Neal didn't ask about it.

David G

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org