From:
Rob Cilia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:50:37 -0600
Tommy, the hp170 print server does support ipx/spx, tcp/ip, apple ethertalk,
etc.  Check out
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bpj05530#P1_84

for more info. Using the jetdirect cd that comes with this print server, I
would select tcp/ip as the network protocol to configure this printer since
you're running tcp/ip for your existing network connectivity in your p2p
environment.  However I was thinking about your setup, if you're running a
simple peer-to-peer network with winxp pro workstations (you didn't say how
many so I'm assuming only a few), why not forego the use of the print server
jetdirect card and install the printer as a local printer on one of the
winxp workstations and share it out to the rest of the winxp workstations.
If you're running hardware that supports winxp pro, you shouldn't have any
speed issues to worry about. As far as setup time goes, this would be the
quickest and probably the easiest way to go.  Unless you're running a
network in an office environment where you're running a lot of winxp
workstations in your p2p environment in which case you probably should be
running a main network server like Windows 2000 server to allow for user
authentication and provide access to network resources such as shared
folders, printers, email, data backup, etc, I wouldn't see the need for
using the hp170 jetdirect print server.  Just my 0.02 cent cdn.
Thx...rob,wpg

Original Email>>>>>>>>>>>>>Date:    Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:22:01 -0600
From:    "Tommy Holmes, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: HP JetDirect 170 Printer Server install in WinXP Pro

We are configuring a new workstation with WinXP Pro to print over a
MicroSoft peer-to-peer network ethernet connection to an HP JetDirect 170
printer server on an HP DeskJect 855c inkject printer

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com