Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:45:22 +0100
Just a thought really.
Would it not be possible to actually cut the cable on the monitor (as
closely as is possible to the monitor side of the cable) and then join the
cable somehow with one of better quality?
I wouldn't know, as I've never seen the inside of a monitor cable, but, I
would have thought that as long as you joined the right coloured wires
(properly and safely), then there is a chance that it may work.
Is this possible? If so, this would save the need to actually open up the
monitor casing, and it may well be a case of broken wiring inside the cable
causing the problem.
Yes, I  know, I'm a skinflint too!
Any ideas as to whether this would work?
Michele Sayer

Howard, a good rule of thumb is... never open a monitor, period, unless you
are a well-trained, qualified monitor tech.  Capacitor discharge from
monitors that have been unplugged for MONTHS have killed people.  I know
someone who was seriously injured trying to dissect a montior.
Unfortunately (for us... different story for the manufacturer!), most
monitors have permanent cables, so if the cable is damaged, you're stuck.
Sadly, if you've exhausted all external options, I'd recommend giving it a
proper burial.  So... the only special tool is a credit card to buy a new
one :-)
Steve Price