Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 23:55:29 +0000
The FCC is the ones who limited the speed to 53 K. The actually are
not limiting the speed, but rather the amount of signal power from
the modem that can enter the phone system. This limiting of power,
limits the speed to effectively 53K.

Most telco's only will, for sure, pass 2400 baud. Anything beyond
that they will not have to troubleshoot to improve it for you. The
trick is to request enhanced caller ID on your modem line. Once that
is working properly you will find your modem line is working at the
maximum possible speed for your line. (You will need a caller ID
modem / phone to verify it is working OK.) Once everything is fine
call and cancel the caller ID. Most telco's will, if you whine to the
customer service rep cancel any fees associated with the week or two
you were on caller ID. I have done this trick a good 20-30 times with
various dial in lines that our company has.

> From: Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>

> set it
> >
> >In fact, you won't get connections faster than 53K due
> >to government regulations.
>
> Lately I've seen several references to this government regulation.
> Could someone please educate me on the law/reg that limits the
> maximum speed? Where can I find this?
>
> I know that TelCo's will not guarantee to provide anything above
> 14.4k (or was that 28.8? it's been soooo long since we passed beyond
> that, I've forgotten what it was <g>) but I've never heard of any
> top speed limit.
Dale Laluk / [log in to unmask]
Design Manager
Lunar Communication Services