From:
Mike McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:45:38 -0400
My PC suddenly will not boot. It worked fine for my brother earlier in the day.
The power and drive lights come on, the fans spin up, but there is no video output
and it never gets to the floppy drive. I unplugged it, removed the cover and
disconnected the power to my CD drives (one a reader, the other a burner) and it
booted. I reconnected the drives and it booted again, but after a few minutes
in Windows, the system froze, and would not reboot when the reset button was
pushed. It will not boot now, same symptoms as before (no video, but power).

System specs:

Asus P2-99 ZX chipset Motherboard
Intel Celeron 300A Slot-1 Processor (NOT overclocked)
128 MB PC100 ram
Riva TNT 16 MB AGP video card
Voodoo 2 8mb Video Card
Diamond MX300 Sound Card
generic ISA 56k m
odem
PCI Network Interface Card (for cable modem)
6GB Maxtor Hard Drive
48X BTC Eide Cd-rom Drive
2X2X6 Pacific Data CDRW Drive
Generic 3.5 Floppy
Toolless ATX Case & PS

Is this a problem with the power supply? Or is it some weird incompatability
with the CD rom drives that just now appeared? No parts have been upgraded or
added since the NIC card in mid-February.

Also, last last year, I had a problem with the exact same case and PS. I had
thought the problem was with the motherboard, and I had replaced it, but the
symptoms were similar - no video at boot. When I did replace the mobo, it worked -
until now.

HELP!

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html