From:
Rick Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 23:57:15 +0100
On  Wed, 18 Nov 1998 20:19:42 +0100 I asked:

>Someone in one of the newsgroups claimed that the Viper can be updated
>to an Elsa card by using the Diamond flash software and renaming the Elsa
bios file.
>Obviously, I don't want to trash
>a card just to test this thesis, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has tried
>this sucessfully, or has seen any information on the web about it.

Here's a short update on this subject. I took a plunge and tried it. Lo and
behold, it works. Run the Viper driver, which extracts its files to a boot
disk. Extract the ELSA drivers to a temporary directory. Copy the ELSA
bios-file to the BOOT-disk you just made and rename it to match the name of
the Diamond bios-file. ( You will have to rename or delete the old file
first.) Now run the flasher, and you have chaged you Viper 330 to an ELSA
erazor. Please be aware that doing this probably means losing any garantee
or warantee that you have, and that theoretically you could destroy (meaning
non-functional) your graphic card in the process of flashing. ( This applies
to any flash process) It worked for me, but it may not work all the time.

Rick Swartz ([log in to unmask])
http://www.uuhome.de/richard.swartz
PC-Support  Emission-Monitoring (Air)
BASF