From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:09:20 -0600
Charles M Yates wrote:

> Hi All,
>    I'm planning on putting together a 486 for my sister. When I went to
> the local parts store to buy a modem for it, they informed me that
> production of modems compatible with 486 computers had stopped. If

This is news to me.  I will not tell you that whoever told you this is
wrong, but this is the first I've ever heard of it.  To the best of my
knowledge, modems are not processor dependent (with the exception of
'Winmodems' because of processor speed).  Any modem that does not
require some flavor of Windows and doesn't specify a processor type or
speed SHOULD work with any PC it is slot-compatible with.  You should
even be able to get a 56K modem to work with a 386 if it'll fit.

I would suggest that you go to someplace with a return policy and pick
up a modem that meets your specifications and give it a try.  You
shouldn't be restricted by speed either.  2400 - 56K.  Good luck.

--
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html