From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 07:54:00 -0500
-----Original Message-----

Date:    Tue, 10 Feb 2009 22:05:12 +1000
From:    Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: display help

At 12:16 PM 2/9/2009 -0500, you wrote:
>My Toshiba Satellite running Windows XP Professional sometimes will not
come
>out of hibernation.>>

Hibernation can be flaky at best. Your problem is common, and there can be
many reasons.

Standby is often just as effective and may be more reliable.

It might help if you close as much down as possible (including background
running apps) before hibernating.

The problem usually is caused by the fact that everything that's running is
placed into memory, and the system does not allocate sufficient memory to
bring it out of hibernation again, if everything is less than  perfect---eg
no sticky drivers.

But there can be many other reasons.

Don Penlington

------------------------------
You might want to see if your settings in the BIOS have options, and will
support, S1 and S3 power saving states. Many times S1 is enabled by default
whereas S3 is the power state you want. You also want to check the keyboard
in "Properties" to make sure "allow this device to bring computer out of
standby" is enabled.

I agree with Don regarding the hibernation feature. My Dell would fail to
resume from hibernation in more than half the attmpts to do so. I have since
learned that standby is a better alternative.

HTH

Chris Ryan

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com