Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:17:20 +1100
Thank you for correct me on ASUS BIOS issue.

However, there are few things I can't find any match with my exp, hope you
can "fix" me on the following too, I'm looking forward to hear from you.

In my memory (I worked as service person before), the worst damaged harddisk
was a 10G (I think, maybe bigger) had been used as a 8G drive, it only
lasted a few days, there were 4G-6G hard drives had been damaged by old mobo
that only support upto 2G in BIOS (however they lasted months). I see the
risk is pretty big, I don't want bet on it anyway.

I also had trouble to fix wrongly "partitioned" drive, either new BIOS and
MS Fdisk (from win98, tried NT4 with SP4 IDE fix too) couldn't correct the
size of disk even I deleted partition, reboot, re-partition, none of
standard way worked for me. The only way I had successfully corrected the
problem was utility provided by HDD manufacturers. If you have detailed
guide on how to fix this kind of problem, please post here, I'd happy to
learn any new tips. Since most BIOS I dealed later have no problem with
large HDD, maybe things changed, let me know if you know how could BIOS
damage HDD, and how new HDD is desinged to avoid the problem. Thanks.

I only give low risk suggestion, so if anything I don't risk myself, I don't
want to anyone else to risk it.

I believe this old says from China: if you do not want yourself, do not
give/do it to others.

Jun Qian